[pve-devel] Suggestion for Spice Client Settings

Lindsay Mathieson lindsay.mathieson at gmail.com
Tue Jan 7 07:17:39 CET 2014

Have been working on tweaking proxmox for my coworkers, who are used
to using vmware (workstation and vsphere) or VirtualBox.

They like proxmox a lot - the web interface is regarded as very
convenient and the spice client impresses a lot, much better than
vmware's offering.

But there a few things that can be set which make things a lot easier
for them, that they are used to seeing in other VM managers.

- Add the VM Name to the spice client title. Currently we just have
the VMId and our devs/support, who run up multiple VM's find that
confusing to manage.

- Set the Secure-Attention (Short cut for Ctrl-Ald-Del). hotkey  to
Ctrl-Alt-Ins. This requires remote-viewer 0.5.8 to work (not released
yet) but causes no harm to earlier versions of it.

- Set the toggle-fullscreen hot key. SHift-F11 seems to be a common shortcut.

These can all be set in the spiceproxy file. I've altered our perl
source to do, it would be really great if there could be something
like this in the next official release:

Qemu.pm:

   1399         # LWM
   1400         my $conf = PVE::QemuServer::load_config($vmid, $node);
   1401
   1402         return {
   1403             'secure-attention' => "Ctrl+Alt+Ins",
   1404             'toggle-fullscreen' => "Shift+F11",
   1405             'release-cursor' => "Ctrl+Alt+R",
   1406             title => "VM $vmid - $conf->{'name'}",
   1407             type => 'spice',
   1408             #title => "VM $vmid",
   1409             host => $proxyticket, # this break tls hostname
verification, so we need to use 'host-subject'
   1410             proxy => "http://$proxy:3128",
   1411             'tls-port' => $port,
   1412             'host-subject' => $subject,
   1413             ca => $cacert,
   1414             password => $ticket,
   1415             'delete-this-file' => 1,
   1416         };
   1417     }});

I'd be happy to setup a dev env and submit patches if that helps.

Thanks,

--
Lindsay