[pve-devel] Enhanced Backups?

Jeff Moskow jeff at rtr.com
Mon Jan 6 10:39:26 CET 2014

Hi,

I'm looking at enhancing backups to add two features:

 1. skip backups of machines that haven't run since the last backup
     1. Since backups run at least once/week, I'll make the simplifying
        assumption that if the most recent backup is older than one week
        and we haven't had a VM on during the last week, that it doesn't
        need to be backed up
     2. It looks like the start/stop activity can be found in
        /var/log/syslog, /var/log/daemon.log and
        /var/log/pve/tasks/index. What are the advantages/disadvantages
        of using each of these log files?
 2. allow backup job descriptions to rotate across multiple storages
    (e.g. backup to three NFS servers and always replace the oldest backup)

I'd appreciate knowing if any of this work has already been done and of
course any thoughts/suggestions that you might have!

Jeff