[pve-devel] SSD only Ceph cluster

Michael Rasmussen mir at datanom.net
Sat Aug 30 15:09:00 CEST 2014

On Sat, 30 Aug 2014 10:59:17 +0000
Martin Maurer <martin at proxmox.com> wrote:

> I am looking for the best suitable SSD drives for a Proxmox VE Ceph cluster in our test-lab. The current plan is to use 4 x 512 GB SSD per server for OSD. (12 * 512 GB drives, total net capacity of 2 TB , with a replication of 3.)

When you are to compare specs for SSDs or HDD's for that matter to be
used in a remote storage what do you consider most important? Max
read/write MB/s or read/write IOPS?

Personally I should think when we are looking at SSD's max read/write
MB/s is irrelevant since the network will always be the bottleneck
(AFAIK no network is cable of providing throughput > 400 MB/s) so I
would compare read/write IOPS instead.

--
Hilsen/Regards
Michael Rasmussen

Get my public GnuPG keys:
michael <at> rasmussen <dot> cc
mir <at> datanom <dot> net
mir <at> miras <dot> org
/usr/games/fortune -es says:
Sin has many tools, but a lie is the handle which fits them all.