[pve-devel] ceph osd over zfs volume

Paul Penev ppquant at gmail.com
Fri Apr 18 12:28:16 CEST 2014

>> The gui actually works quite nicely, once the OSD is added by hand with pveceph
>> createosd.
>
> So the most important function will not work on the GUI.

Well, it is very easy to provide you with a patch that will show all
block devices and not only the disks in the gui. It is also trivial to
patch CephTools.pm and Ceph.pm to allow and use information from
various block devices, and also show it in the gui.

This would include Zvols, LVM, MD, DRBD and certainly disk partitions
(think about SSD usage and fast(er) pools on SSD disk partitions).

However I am refraining from doing so, as I think such a patch will
not be welcomed by the proxmox team. If I'm under a wrong impression
please correct me.

However, if the decision was made that proxmox "gui" will only use
disks because of "simplicity", then I see nothing wrong with doing
some advanced tasks on the console, provided they don't break the GUI
or misbehave in other ways.