[pve-devel] ceph osd over zfs volume

Paul Penev ppquant at gmail.com
Thu Apr 17 14:23:30 CEST 2014

>> It is difficult to believe that using slices (or partitions) makes administration
>> difficult.
>
> It is also difficult to believe that zfs is useful here.

It is actually easier when you consider a typical proxmox cluster with
openvz and kvm machines and recall that openvz currently requires
simfs (btw: ploop is out of beta not and could be supported too).

In a small cluster that runs a mixed load, there is no space for
allocating entire disks to ceph. There is no need for that too. The
key here is small: 3 to 6 nodes total.

>> To me this is a limiting factor without a tangible advantage.
> We do not set any limits on ceph - you can use the original packages like you want.

Following the same reasoning I could use openvz and kvm+qemu without
proxmox at all. I have done this is the past, but shall I do so now?

What I am talking about is making proxmox a better fit for a more
general purpose.

Che choice to limit osd to physical disks when there is no such
limitation in the underlying technology is a plain arbitrary choice
(political choice if you wish) which is actually removing from the
potential customer base and not adding to it.

I really do not understand.