[pve-devel] Greatest common cluster cpuflags?

Mark Casey markc at unifiedgroup.com
Mon Sep 23 21:51:15 CEST 2013

Hello everyone,

I've read that considerable performance improvements can be achieved
using a non-default kvm CPU with a VM due to the availability of
additional flags and extension sets. However I understand that this can
be troublesome for live-migration when cluster Nodes are not on
homogenous hardware. My own environment specifies a specific CPU for one
cluster that is homogenous (though I haven't benchmarked it against
defaults), but I'm stuck with defaults for another cluster which is
Intel/AMD-mixed and uses CPUs from two different generations.

Would it be possible for Proxmox to track the available cpuflags of
Nodes and store them in the shared cluster filesystem? I think this
would allow for running VMs with a greater set of cpuflags than the
default while reducing the chance of panic (or, whatever) during
live-migration. It may also be possible to compare the flags that a VM
was started with and warn if the user attempts to live-migrate it to a
Node that was added since the VM was last started (a Node which may
support fewer flags than the other Nodes, causing problems).

I have some interest in playing with this and (I think) a decent idea of
the scope of work required. Would this idea be considered simply
impossible, not likely to be adopted/merged under any circumstances, or
just currently too dangerous without extensive testing? I'm not looking
for anyone to do my homework for me or write me back a novel...but I
don't want to waste time if it for sure won't go anywhere.  :D

Thank you,
Mark