[pve-devel] small dhcp patch review

Alexandre DERUMIER aderumier at odiso.com
Wed Sep 11 07:58:09 CEST 2013

>>I am currently unsure where we store the IP assignment. I currently use
>>the VM config file, but there are other options. For example a cluster wide
>>file /etc/pve/ipallocations which following content:
>

>><vmid>:<bridge>:<IP>
>>100:vmbr0:192.168.5.100
>>101:vmbr1:10.0.0.12

I think you need to define nic too ?
(But maybe in gui is better to have it on vm nic config ? like openvz ?)

>>I need to think about that (some more days).
Yes, sure, no problem. (I'm bit busy for the moment )

for nat and routed, we could also do it like this, without need to configure a bridge in /etc/network/interfaces

vnetwork: vnetwork_2
          iprange 192.168.2.100-192.168.2.150
          gateway 192.168.2.1
          comment dhcp routed bridge
          type routed|nat

then create the bridge dynamicaly (named vnetwork_2) , with gateway adress as static ip

>>We also need a way to define permission for ippools/networks. On thing that
>>comes in mind is to use VM pools for that (assign one or more 'virtual networks'
>>to a pool).
Yes, I think it could do the job.
Customer have vm pools, and can only choose the 'virtual networks' assigned to the pool.

I'll be offline the next 2 days,going to move servers to a new datacenter.

offtopic:

I find an old interview of Martin here:
http://www.montanalinux.org/proxmox-ve-martin-interview.html
Martin: Dietmar (my brother and CTO at Proxmox) is a Linux developer from the early beginning. He started with programming a Commodore VIC-20 (oh, we are getting old), and later moved as everyone did to the C64. After that he invested all of his money in an Amiga 1000, eventually moving on to the first i386 PC. "

This remember me old good days when I was 6 year old ;) (I had also a VIC-20, C64 and AMIGA500 a little bit later).
10 PRINT "HELLO"
20 GOTO 10