[pve-devel] features ideas for 3.0 roadmap

Alexandre DERUMIER aderumier at odiso.com
Wed Mar 13 04:38:59 CET 2013

>>Auto-migrate VMs to do resource balancing. I've heard resistance to this with the argument that the migration would cause an even higher load but I think it is still a valid option. If the high load ends up being >>a long term situation it may be beneficial to migrate and cause a high load for a brief period of time. Also if things are kept balanced early enough the problem may be prevented all together. There could be >>tuning options such as when to balance and delay to prevent short periods of high load from causing a migration. This would also be useful for rebalancing the cluster if new hosts are added or if the above option >>is implemented and a host is re-added to the cluster.

I think we have discuss about this some month ago. It's auto workload balancing.
We can have easily stats of the whole cluster and we have stats history in rrd files . But we don't have a "master" to manage the balancing, so each node need to manage itself.

It should work like this:

for each vm, in a proxmox daemon

- if host total cpu > 80% since X minutes
- find the vms which use the more cpu ? since X minutes.
  choose the vm with the lowest memory (to speedup migration)
- find a target host with the lowest cpu (since X minutes). (We need to have ratio for hosts with differents cpu power)
  and try to have <80% target host cpu after migration.
- migrate the vm to the host

Something like that.