[pve-devel] Minor Wishlist item: proxmox OUI

Todd Lyons tlyons at ivenue.com
Tue Mar 5 16:21:03 CET 2013

On Mon, Mar 4, 2013 at 9:17 PM, Dietmar Maurer <dietmar at proxmox.com> wrote:
>> but it sure would be nice to have proxmox
>> have its own OUI block.
> What for (what exactly is the advantage)?

It's an informal inventory indicator.  As an example, we migrated one
machine from VMware to Proxmox:

            hostname: fwsall.ivenue.net
          ip address: 10.10.10.145
    ethernet address: ce:fd:da:4f:c9:ea
     ethernet vendor: <unknown>
old ethernet address: 0:c:29:c6:40:b4
 old ethernet vendor: VMware, Inc.
           timestamp: Monday, March 4, 2013 8:18:28 -0800
  previous timestamp: Monday, March 4, 2013 8:14:26 -0800
               delta: 4 minutes

It was clear that it came from a VMWare machine, but it is not clear
that it is now on a Proxmox machine.  The same about a machine
migrated from real hardware to Proxmox:

            hostname: secure52.ivenue.net
          ip address: 10.1.1.231
    ethernet address: 42:60:37:be:d3:f6
     ethernet vendor: <unknown>
old ethernet address: 0:6:5b:fd:10:ac
 old ethernet vendor: Dell Computer Corp.
           timestamp: Wednesday, February 27, 2013 0:54:05 -0800
  previous timestamp: Wednesday, February 27, 2013 0:52:19 -0800
               delta: 1 minute

Again, you can tell it came from a Dell server, but can't tell that
it's moved to a Proxmox server.

Like I said before, it's very minor, and it's really only useful here
in this context (the arpwatch package includes its own
/var/arpwatch/ethercodes.dat which provides this mac prefix to owner
mapping).  It's not useful in normal tcpdump. It's useful in wireshark
because it displays it, though I'm not sure where it's getting that
info.  It's not a big deal at all.

...Todd