[pve-devel] tasks / ressources

Alexandre DERUMIER aderumier at odiso.com
Thu Jun 6 12:17:22 CEST 2013

>>every second. Is this really needed? current is pretty small but tasks
>>and ressources has around 20kb for me.

ressources are use for 2 things :
1)- stats counters of the vms (cpu,diskio,...)
2)- and status of the vm/storage. (stopped/start/....)

2) is more critical to fast refresh the tree
1) is is less critical.

don't known if it could be easy to split them, with differents interval. (like 1s pour status, and 5s for counters)

The best way (but lot more difficult to implement) could be push the events to the browser, and avoid polling.

Seem to be possible with spdy protocol
http://www.chromium.org/spdy/link-headers-and-server-hint

or html5 websockets
http://pusher.com/tutorials/html5_realtime_push_notifications

while debugging why PVE GUI is so slow over VPN / slow network
connection i've seen that we update:
- tasks
- ressources
- current

every second. Is this really needed? current is pretty small but tasks
and ressources has around 20kb for me.

Stefan