[pve-devel] Contribution

Martin Maurer martin at proxmox.com
Fri Jul 19 11:18:18 CEST 2013

Hi guys,

I'm interested in contributing code/features for Proxmox, and want to know where to begin.
(I've already contributed with Danish translation... small thing, I know)

It's important to me to know how my code/features will be included in the official release, and not only as my private patches.
[Martin Maurer]
If you want to contribute code, please follow http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Developer_Documentation
The important part: you need to coordinate your efforts with us before starting any development.

So please specify in detail what you plan to contribute.

Fx I don't want to come in a situation like Kamil where he develop a very nice (in my opinion) feature - differential backup - which you don't want to include in the release (don't know exact reason though)
http://ayufan.eu/projects/proxmox-ve-differential-backups/

I think it's a shame that features like these are not officially included in your releases in some way... I understand that you want to keep things simple and stable (or stable and simple :) ), but at least it would be nice to be able to fetch features like these - fx from a contribution repository, or making the code more modulized/pluginable, so adding features like above can be easy added by users.
[Martin Maurer]
It's not a "shame" that we do not integrate this, it's a feature that we include only code fits into the product. The way it should work is defined, but this guy does not followed this idea. This is ok for me but it's clear that in this case we will not integrate it.

Do you have a roadmap (not just the one from the wiki with 3 lines)? A wishlist?
[Martin Maurer] If you tell more about your interests and knowledge we can suggest you something, there are indeed a lot of to-dos.
Martin

Thanks,
Michael