[pve-devel] template considerations

Dietmar Maurer dietmar at proxmox.com
Mon Jan 28 07:26:05 CET 2013

> > > One problem I see is that we do not want to call 'qemu-img info' for
> > > a normal content list, so that list would not include that information.
> > >
> > Could the information not be stored some how at creation time? The
> > image is read-only and as such cannot change after creation in which
> > case the info stored at creation time will always be same through out the
> image life time.
>
> Sure, we could cache the information returned by qemu-img. But it is
> necessarily needed, so it is unclear to add additional complexity for the
> cache.

Seems that both sheedpdog and RBD LS returns information about parent (base).

For Nexenta we already call get_zvol_props(), so we also have that info.

For LVM we can use --options '...,origin' to list the base image.

So we just need to implement a cache for directory based storage types.

@Alexandre: is my assumption correct?