[pve-devel] activate hotplug by default ?

Alexandre DERUMIER aderumier at odiso.com
Tue Feb 19 06:26:15 CET 2013

Hi,

hotplug code is pretty stable (I'm using it since more 1 year),

Maybe is it time to activate it by default ?

For windows (xp,w7,w8,2003,2008,2012) it's working out of the box.

For linux, it's require manual loading of 2 modules :CONFIG_HOTPLUG_PCI,CONFIG_HOTPLUG_PCI_ACPI

But,somes new distro begin to compile modules inside kernel :

Debian wheezy
fedora > 11
rhel/centos > 6.2

Currently behaviour if modules are not loaded, or os doesn't support acpi hotplug:

Hotplug:
The device is plugged fine, you can see it in qemu "info pci", but the os doesn't see it. (So, it's more or less like current behaviour)

Unplug:
Currently the Unplug Hang, as the device cannot be removed from qemu. (Don't know if they are a workaround to force removal)

So we just have an error message in pve-manager at removal.

Any opinions about this ?