[pve-devel] Questions regarding Backup

Dietmar Maurer dietmar at proxmox.com
Sun Feb 17 09:10:50 CET 2013

> So right now the only way to get a consistent backup is to use stop mode?

I use modern software, so I get consistent backups in snapshot mode too.

Note: Every FS and DB I use supports transaction.

But we also improved 'stop' mode. I just stops, then immediately restarts the VM.

So you can use stop mode now with very short downtimes.

> Regarding vzdump the backup was finished and I wanted to start a 2nd
> backup for the same server.

Each storage has a 'max_files' property, which defined the max number of
backups you can store.