[pve-devel] ceph replication speed

Eric Blevins eric at netwalk.com
Mon Dec 30 18:20:10 CET 2013

> I only run 6 OSDs on 3 nodes - so maybe not enough OSDs?

size=2:
When you write to just three OSDs, each one replicates to another OSD, a
total of 6 OSD writes.
Each OSD gets one write, the client only sees the bandwidth of the three
it wrote to.

size=3:
When you write to only three OSDs, each one replicates to two more OSDs,
a total of 9 OSD writes.
Half of the OSDs make two writes, I would expect reduced performance
with 50% of the OSDs doing twice the work.

I suspect if you added three more OSDs then size=3 would perform at
100MB/sec and size=2 would be faster than 100MB/sec.