[pve-devel] kernel 3.10 : bridge vlan test

Alexandre DERUMIER aderumier at odiso.com
Tue Dec 17 09:15:53 CET 2013

>>I cannot see a technical reason why linux bridge is slower than ovs?
Can't say exactly, maybe openvswitch can scale more with multi-core ?

here an benchmark : http://www.opencloudblog.com/?p=96 , with openvswitch going up to 256gb/s

>>Can you reproduce this with new 3.10 bridge code?
I need to test

>>VLAN should also work out of the box with linux bridge (it's just a bug somewhere).
Yes, sure. And also linux bridge have some advantages, like iptables support

My point is that it could be fine to give user choice (at least for advanced users, not everyone need advanced features of openvswitch)