[pve-devel] internal dhcp server, where to put dhcp configuration ?

Alexandre DERUMIER aderumier at odiso.com
Thu Aug 22 15:37:40 CEST 2013

Hi,

I'll try to begin to look for dhcp implementation.

I don't known where to put dhcp configuration.

1) define it in /etc/network/interfaces in each bridge config
   But that mean that we need to do it for each server

2) define it in a global /etc/pve/dhcp.cfg.
   vmbrO = dhcp range X.X.X.X/24, gateway=...
   vmbr1 = dhcp range X.X.X.X/24  gateway=...

For bridge and nat mode, that make sense to share the same dhcp config for the bridge,
as when you live migrate you need to keep your ip lease.

For routed mode, the gateway should be different for each host. (gateway is the host ip).
(So, I don't known if live migrate work good with routed mode, we need to renew the dhcp, maybe unplug/plug the virtual nic cable)

Any idea ?

Also, I would like add ip,mask,gateway to netX vm param, for lease reservation and override bridge dhcp params.
(don't known if we need to allow to specify all dhcp options here)