[pve-devel] RFC: vm cloning implementation proposal

Dietmar Maurer dietmar at proxmox.com
Wed Oct 3 16:13:57 CEST 2012

> >>I do not understand why we need that? Please can you explain?
>
> with rbd,nexenta,sheepdog, it's mandatory to clone from a snapshot. (that's
> why the sourcevm don't need to be readonly after the clone, like qcow2)

Ah, I see (But it is unrelated to our snapshot implementation inside qemu-server).

So cloning is a 2-step process in general:

1.) create template:  create a read-only snapshot of all used VM disks
2.) clone template: make a writable copy of above templates

The following perquisites are helpful:

a.) VM should be stopped when user creates a template
b.) It makes live easier for us if all templates are on shared storage

Would that fit your needs?