[pve-devel] new cache benchmark results

Alexandre DERUMIER aderumier at odiso.com
Thu Nov 8 17:09:26 CET 2012

netapp nfs: raw file
---------------

default(no drive cache option) : 8000
none: 13000
writeback = 8000

netapp nfs: qcow2 file
---------------

default(no drive cache option) : 5000
none: 12000
writeback = 5000

local raid controller (512MB CACHE with battery): raw file
default(no drive cache option): 10000
cache=none : 4000
cache=writeback : 10000

local raid controller (512MB CACHE with battery): qcow2 file
default(no drive cache option): 9000
cache=none : 6000
cache=writeback : 9000

So writeback seem to be faster on local storage, but slower on network storage.

Note : with shared storage, with writeback, I generally see big spike (faster than cache=none), but after big slowdown (near zero) during 5-10s.
       So I think this is when the host need to flush the datas, it add more overhead. (maybe network latency have an impact...)