[pve-devel] new plugin architecture for storage modules

Alexandre DERUMIER aderumier at odiso.com
Wed May 23 09:45:23 CEST 2012

>>Seems nexenta license is not compatible :-/
>>
>>http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html#CDDL

mmm, openstack have a nexenta plugin ...so this is strange...
(This is just a json rest api)

>>I am confused. That is only the client side? A storage only makes sense if
>>one can also run a server. But ceph server is not stable in our kernel?

Oh, yes, I was talking about client side support in qemu-kvm.

I don't like mix kvm and storage on same nodes, but it think can be done.

for servers part:
We need 3 servers minimum,
- 3 ceph "mon" daemon, they are use for maintain the "crush" map, a map of block location.
- 3 ceph "osd" daemon, they are storage daemon.
We also need dedicated disks for journal and storage for osd.
I don't know for the kernel version but I think it must work we current kernel.

So, it's not tricky to add server side out of the box. Need tunning.

>>How stable are those packages (how many updates per year)? I guess we can copy
>>them to our repository if really needed.
Seem that package have a new release around each month.(Small releases with small new features each time)
New client version are always backward compatible with old ceph server version.