[pve-devel] iscsi, some hang : pvestatd always do iscsi_session_rescan

Alexandre DERUMIER aderumier at odiso.com
Wed May 16 12:05:39 CEST 2012

Hi Dietmar

>>Is a bit difficult to understand, because I do not have that problem. The suggested way
>>is to use LVM on top of iSCSI, and that avoid the whole problem AFAIK.

I would like to use lvm but it's not possible in my usage.
I'm use clones/snapshots/remote replication/lun sharing in my san. (each clone=1 lun)

>>Anyways, the whole thing looks like a workaround, and it is maybe easier to fix the cause of the problem (iscsid)?
>>Form what I see you want:
>>
>>- do not create any devices at iscsi login
>>- do not create devices when scanning for luns (any other way to list luns?)
>>- avtivate/deactivate LUNs selectively

exactly !

(because it's a big change, I wanted to do it in a new separate plugin to not break current model. specially for users with a big number of luns)

>>Because we want to activate/deactivate devices selectively. You already asked the iscsi developers about their opinion?

Not yet. But adding/remove device is supported by redhat in a clean way.

http://docs.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html/Storage_Administration_Guide/removing_devices.html
http://docs.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html/Storage_Administration_Guide/removing_path-to-storage-device.html
http://docs.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html/Storage_Administration_Guide/adding_storage-device-or-path.html

-Alexandre