[pve-devel] pve-manager : expose balloon to gui

Alexandre DERUMIER aderumier at odiso.com
Thu Dec 6 13:29:10 CET 2012

>>Note: Inside qemu balloon size is something else.
Yes, Indeed, qmp balloon set the target memory and not the balloon size

memory :2000MB,
qmp baloon (500MB).
memory : 500MB,  balloon size: 1500MB

> -start with max memory
> if min_balloon size specified, set balloon size to min_ballon.

>>we start as we start now, no need to change that.

Yes, indeed no change from actual implementation.

>>To summarize, we have the following setting:
>>
>>memory: xxx
>>balloon: yyy

>>We start the VM with -mem 'xxx' and set available memory to 'yyy' (using ballooning).
>>So 'yyy' is the minimum available memory inside the VM.

I Agree with that.

>>After that, we set available memory to something between yyy and xxx dynamically.
>>
>>Would that work for you?

I would like to specify an optionnal upper limit for ballooned memory, lower than the total memory.

Because we don't have memory hotplug yet, so I would like start the vm with an higher memory size, and increase the max ballon size limit in time.(like fake hotplug)