[pve-devel] pve-manager : expose balloon to gui

Alexandre DERUMIER aderumier at odiso.com
Thu Dec 6 09:09:37 CET 2012

>>The MOM Ballooning Policy does not look very complex. But if we can't implement it
>>inside qemu, we can still use pvestatd.

>>But we first need to know if/how we can get stats from the guest?

If we want to reduce memory 100% safely, I think we need to get stats.
But balloon stats seem to give "free_memory", without memory used as buffer in guest.
(And as Linux try to use all free memory for buffer, I'm not sure that free_memory will be huge)

I we want to add memory, I can be done if host have enough memory.

Another way (that citrix xenserver use) it to specify manually a range (min-max) for balloon memory (which is safe for the workload of the vm).
Then the daemon (pvestatd), can adjust balloon in this range.