[pve-devel] create snapshots

Alexandre DERUMIER aderumier at odiso.com
Fri Aug 31 13:58:52 CEST 2012

>>What do you think?
Yes, I think it's a really good idea !

----- Mail original -----

De: "Dietmar Maurer" <dietmar at proxmox.com>
À: "Alexandre DERUMIER" <aderumier at odiso.com>
Cc: pve-devel at pve.proxmox.com
Envoyé: Vendredi 31 Août 2012 13:33:33
Objet: RE: create snapshots

> if we don't save vm_state, we need to freeze the filesystem. (qemu-ga call
> xfs_freeze, which works for ext3, ext4, GFS2, XFS, and BTRFS)
>

> Currently, I'm using directsync or writethrough cache mode to be sure that
> the datas are always on disk.
> (I have a fast nvram journal in my nexenta box).
> I never add problem taking live disk snapshots and rollback them.

Ok, so far so good ;-)

Would it help if we split the "savevm" monitor command into
several smaller command, which we can call individually:

1.) snapshot_start

* this is the first part of do_savevm() till vm_stop

2.) dump_vm_state (or maybe we do this is step 1)

* write state to some fd

3.) snapshot_drive

* simply call bdrv_snapshot_create(bs1, sn) for a single drive

4.) snapshot_end

* resume the VM (maybe this is a normal resume, so we can use the existing 'cont'
command)

What do you think?

Alexandre D e rumier

Ingénieur Systèmes et Réseaux