[pve-devel] savevm tests

Alexandre DERUMIER aderumier at odiso.com
Wed Aug 29 14:34:30 CEST 2012

Hi have done some savevm tests:

lvm + qcow2
-----------
It doesn't work :(
savevm can take the snapshot, but when trying to rollback, it doesn't work.
also you can have a lvm disk of 10GB, format with qcow2 with 5GB, the guest see 10GB.

qcow2
----
savevm works fine
loadvm works fine,rollback in live.
qemu-img snapshot rollback offline works

rbd
---
savevm works
loadvm works (rollback in done), but vm hang, and we need to restart it .
rbd rollback offline works

sheepdog
--------
savevm : hang,snapshot not take
loadvm: don't have try
sheedog rollback command is not already implement (soon, see sheepdog mailing)

savevm works with mutiples disk, and can mix differents storage, they just need to support savevm command.
If you have a qcow2 + raw, it thrown an error and don't make the snapshot.

note :I don't know how it's works in you don't have the snapshot on all the disks.
exemple : add a disk, take a snap1, add a second disk, take a snap2, now rollback to snap1 ?

I have also try with the patch to disable memory saving, I didn't have had any problems.
Maybe it could be usefull to add an option to not save memory ?
Also maybe can we add support for qemu guest agent, to freeze filesystem in this case.