[pve-devel] novnc report

Alexandre DERUMIER aderumier at odiso.com
Thu Aug 2 11:12:01 CEST 2012

>> Does it work when you view a video from youtube.com?
Didn't have tried, but why do we want view a video in proxmox console ?
Isn't it mainly for administrative tasks ?

I'm not sure vnc protocol is fast enough for true video rendering.
spice should be better for this task.(in vdi environnement)

>>AFAIK the jpeg compression is far better?
but jpeg is not a vnc protocol ? (but is used inside these prococol)
http://tightvnc.com/vncviewer.1.html
"Tight
Like Zlib encoding, Tight encoding uses zlib library to compress the pixel data, but it pre-processes data to maximize compression ratios, and to minimize CPU usage on compression. Also, JPEG compression may be used to encode color-rich screen areas (see the description of -quality and -nojpeg options above). Tight encoding is usually the best choice for low-bandwidth network environments (e.g. slow modem connections)."