[pve-devel] question about disks unused

Alexandre DERUMIER aderumier at odiso.com
Tue Oct 4 09:30:21 CEST 2011

Hi,

I was playing the pve-manager, and I have a question about disk unused.

when we remove a disk from a vm, disk return available but only to the same vm.

For me , it make more sense to return the disk available on the storage level.

So if if remove a disk from a vm on a local storage, I can attach it to another vm on the same host with local storage.

And if I remove a disk from a vm on a shared san, I can attach it to another vm on same host or another host witch have the same storage attached.

Currently We can only remove and reattach a disk on the same vm....

Exemple of use : I have a crashed vm and I want to restore the data disk on another vm. Currently it's not possible with pve-manager, so I need to modify manually vm config file.

On rhev,xenserver or vmware that the way it's work.

Now than we have a centralized/replicated vm configurations, it must be easy to parse all the vm configs to search unused disks ....

What do you think about it ?