[pve-devel] virtiodisk ordering bug in current implementation + proposal for new qemu device syntax

Dietmar Maurer dietmar at proxmox.com
Mon Aug 29 10:21:36 CEST 2011

> maybe,
> can we defined a default config file with by exemple 5 disk and 5 nics devices-
> slot mapping

I want to avoid any additional configuration, because I want to keep it simple.

> and if some advanced users want to have more disk, or more nics, they can just
> edit the file and add new mapping ?

I assume that we can use the pci-to-pci' bridge soon. So we can simply map additional
device to the second bus.

> so maxvirtiodisk and maxnic are just a count from this configfile ?

I want to avoid new configuration option by all means. At least until you
show me that it is really required.

Having more than 6 network or disk devices is not the primary use case anyways? And it
would also be possible to use multifunction devices in future (not all users want
hotplug) for users who want a large number of network devices.

> about libvirt, is a little different, in libvirt config xml, you defined all controllers
> with pci slot addres, and add disks on controller.
>
> something like that
>
> <balloon controlelr addr=0x1>
> <audio controller addr=0x2>
> <virtio controller 1  addr=0x3>
>  <disk name="virtio1" .....>
> </virtio>
> <nic device1 addr=0x4>
> <scsi controller 1 addr=0x5>
>  <disk name⁼"scsi1"  ...>
>  <disk name='scsi2" ...>
> </scsi>
>

> they are not predefined mapping.
>
> so you can add the number disk or nic or other devices you want,and map them
> as you want, the only limit is the 31 pci slots.

OK, thanks.

- Dietmar