[pve-devel] virtiodisk ordering bug in current implementation + proposal for new qemu device syntax

Alexandre DERUMIER aderumier at odiso.com
Mon Aug 29 07:56:27 CEST 2011

>This is a serious problem - how do you want to handle that?

>I also thought about doing it that way, but assign an unique addr to all devices (This only
>works if we have enough pci slots available (pve-to-pci bridge). Or we simply guarantee
>a defined address for the first 10 devices for now?

>virtio0 -> addr10
>virtio9 -> addr19
>net0 -> addr20
>net9 -> addr29

>We can extend that guarantee once the pci-to-pci bridge code works.

>What do you think?

Yes, this is the simplest and easiest model.(it is the way i use in my patch for proxmox 1.8).

The question is, do you want to limit the virtio disk to X number, and nics to X number ?
I don't if some proxmox users want 20 disk or 20 nics by example.
Also maybe we need to keep 1 or 2 slots for pci devices passthrough

Personnaly, for my professional use, I never use more than 3 disk and 3 nics ;)

And yes, maybe is the future (6 months?) with pci bridge we can add more devices.

So maybe a config file for all devices slots mapping can be the solution, so we can extend it in the future.

Currently, i'm using this model config: (just an example)

pci: device=video0,bus=0,addr=2
pci: device=balloon,bus=0,addr=3
pci: device=audio0,bus=0,addr=4
pci: device=scsi0,bus=0,addr=5