[pmg-devel] code adjustment for PMG in /usr/share/perl5/PMG/DBTools.pm

Thomas Lamprecht t.lamprecht at proxmox.com
Sat Apr 13 22:44:11 CEST 2019

On 4/13/19 10:32 PM, Stoiko Ivanov wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Patrick, thanks for picking this up and bringing it to our attention!
> On Fri, Apr 12, 2019 at 12:35:01PM -0400, Patrick Fogarty wrote:
>> Thomas
>>
>> I agree that my change works, but introduces the potential for problems, and
>> therefore may not be the "correct" answer. In fact I have no confirmation
>> that everything is okay. Everything appears to be okay after upgrade, except
>> that tracking center loops forever with a "connection error". However I did
>> not press matters to determine if there truly is an issue.
>
> Hmm - this should not happen - but is probably not directly related to the
> postgres_admin_cmd issue. However I could imagine that some services did
> not get setup correctly, because of the failing postinst script - You could
> try to run `dpkg --configure -a` (with your patch in place) and restart
> all services (or the whole PMG-instance).
>
> If this does not fix the issue - I would suggest to open a bug-report in
> https://bugzilla.proxmox.com (or a forum thread) for further analysis.
>

>> The environment...
>> PVE: 5.3-12
>> PMG: 5.1-3
>>
>> The is a test environment, so we are using your community repo, not
>> subscription. However it is happening in subscription as well.
>>
>> PMG is running inside a container based on Debian Stretch. It is about as
>> unmodified as you can get.
>>
>> We did make modifications to the PMG install. They are limited to
>> /var/lib/pmg/templates/main.cf.in and /var/lib/pmg/templates/init.pre.in
>> (geoip) and some custom spamassassin rules. Beyond that, nothing has been
>> touched.
>
> If you modify the configuration templates - please put them in
> '/etc/pmg/templates' - that way they are preserved across upgrades (see
> section 4.3 of the admin guide
> https://www.proxmox.com/images/download/pmg/docs/pmg-admin-guide.pdf).
>

>> The upgrade failure happens at the very end during the configuration phase.
>> As the post mentioned, I traced the issue to PMG:: DBTools::
>> postgres_admin_cmd. But you have already reviewed the post and the code, so
>> you already know that.
>>
> Your analysis is correct - and as the strace output of the OP shows the
> setresuid call is successful, but $! (perl's variable for errno still is
> set from a previous syscall (the TCGETS ioctl).
> I managed to reproduce the issue by installing 'nscd' (without it the
> getpwnam call opens and reads '/etc/passwd' directly and this resets errno
> to 0 somewhere, with it installed it asks the nscd, and errno still is
> set).
>
> We would gladly welcome a patch by you! (I would probably use the approach
> from [0] for readability reasons). Although setting $! to 0 before `$> =
> $uid;` should work as well.
> If you don't find the time, I can also send the patch.

FWIW, both options are ok to me, but I'd like to have the $! = 0; with a comment
here as a reminder for people reading and/or copying this, could be combined with
the "is the euid now the one we wanted" check too (or just that _and_ a comment
would work too for me, but such things need to be recorded).

> BTW. this line is perl's way of 'su postgres' (what Thomas refers to as
> Perl_magic_set :)

Perl_magic_set is actually the perl's interpreter (or whatever it really is)
method to handle the single letter short hand variables, like $@, $_, $!, $;
... which it calls "magic variables", it is surprisingly readable, even though
multi platform support is handled there too, in a single big switch/case...
So it's not only responsible for "su" but actually for a /bit/ more ;-)