[pbs-devel] Create a ZFS filesystem upon datastore creation

Dominik Csapak d.csapak at proxmox.com
Mon Jun 27 12:03:06 CEST 2022

On 6/27/22 10:20, Mark Schouten wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We run a few PBS servers with a lot of datastores, ZFS based. While PBS can create zpools, it
> currently cannot create a ZFS datastore when you create a datastore via the API.
>
> Currently we have a script to create users and datastores and with the corresponding ZFS filesystem:
> 1: Create PBS user
> 2: Create ZFS filesystem for this user (we set the quotum here)
> 3: Create a ZFS filesystem for this datastore, inside the users filesystem
> 4: Create the datastore
>
> As we’re going to implement PBS-as-a-service into our portal, I would like to know if it’s feasable
> to make the API create a filesystem when you create a datastore, or is the general feeling that this
> should not be inside PBS’ scope?
>
> Regards,
>
>> Mark Schouten, CTO
> Tuxis B.V.
> mark at tuxis.nl

Hi,

imo is that the wrong point for such things, since the datastore creation
only takes an (arbitrary) path, which has really nothing to do with
the underlying filesystem.

we already have a zpool creation in the api/gui, maybe we could extend that
to also be able to create (and destroy?) zfs fs?

i think we don't want pbs to become a fs/partition manager though ;)

kind regards