[pbs-devel] Templates starting on backup

Thomas Lamprecht t.lamprecht at proxmox.com
Mon Oct 5 15:42:07 CEST 2020

Hi,

On 05.10.20 14:15, Graeme Seaton wrote:
> I store my templates on a common host and move to deployment host as necessary.  Unfortunately, when backup up the process tries to start the template and then fails if there is a difference in the hardware configuration between the current host and it's definition.
>
> Given that templates (if I understand correctly) are not run directly shouldn't the backup just work with the images since there won't be any dirty blocks to be detected?

Yes, they have no dirty bitmap by definition, but we start them up so that
we can re-use our QEMU backup integration for PBS. The VM is not started for
real, just a QEMU process is running - this shows up in the webinterface
(because it's a cheap check) - but the backup lock symbol should avoid
confusions.

Re-using the QEMU built in block drivers to access the templates disks allows
to avoid duplicating quite some logic and functionality, and solves a few
edge cases "for free". That's the main reason we use it here.

What HW differences are talking here?

cheers,
Thomas