[pbs-devel] [RFC backup 0/6] Two factor authentication

Oguz Bektas o.bektas at proxmox.com
Wed Dec 2 11:56:50 CET 2020

hi,

we talked with wolfgang off-list about some issues, so here are
some recommendations for the next version:

1. increase the length of recovery codes for bruteforce mitigation

most websites use 12-16 characters for the length of recovery keys.

2. do not store recovery codes in cleartext (hash them instead, we thought
hmac-sha256 is fine). the reason being that recovery codes can bypass
other tfa methods so they shouldn't be visible

3. don't store all the tfa information in a single json file.

current version uses a single /etc/proxmox-backup/tfa.json file
which holds all the tfa info for all the users. this is a single point
of failure because:
- file can be corrupted, causing tfa to break for everyone (no more logins)
- file could get deleted, disabling/bypassing 2fa for everyone
- file could get leaked in a backup etc., giving everyone's tfa secrets
and/or recovery keys to attackers (bypass everything)

better is to at least create a file for each user:
/etc/proxmox-backup/tfa/<username>.json or similar

this way the damage is contained if for example the config breaks
because of incorrect deserialization etc.

4. html/js injection in the description field on gui (fixed on staff
repo already)

5. notify user if more than X failed tfa attempts (password is already
compromised at this point, so it's important to notify) and block IP
for certain amount of time (fail2ban?)

5.b also if recovery keys are available, limit amount of TOTP attempts
for that user

review still going on, but i figured it's good to have a feedback loop
:)