[pbs-devel] Starting VM from Backup

Harald Leithner leithner at itronic.at
Tue Aug 18 11:07:03 CEST 2020

Hi,

sorry if this is not the right place to ask.

Is or will it be possible to start a VM directly from the PBS on a PVE
Node and make a storage migration while the VM is running?

I'm using this at the moment with my own backup solution which is
basically ZFS with snapshots and Ceph Snapshots with some magic to
provide ready to go vm configs and disk images.

For restore I clone the zfs snapshot and mount the images on the pve
node with samba. In case of single file restore I delete the clone
afterwards. In case of disaster recovery I use PVE storage motion to
move the disk to the final storage.

Will such case be possible in PBS? Main reason for this is minimum
downtime for VM that has several 100gb which could need a longtime on
restore but took 5 minutes to boot it directly from the backup server.

thx
Harald

--
ITronic

Harald Leithner
Wiedner Hauptstraße 120/5.1, 1050 Wien, Austria
Tel: +43-1-545 0 604
Mobil: +43-699-123 78 4 78
Mail: leithner at itronic.at | itronic.at