Proxmox support - to develop custom storage plugin

Lothe, Jyotsna Pankaj jyotsna.lothe at hpe.com
Tue Mar 12 14:28:22 CET 2024

Hi Team,

I am from an HPE team where we are looking for a POC to use Proxmox as replacement for VMWare virtualization.
We are able to write small code for custom storage plugin by writing a plugin file under /usr/share/perl5/PVE/Storage/Custom/HpePlugin.pm.
We are able to connect to our storage and are fetching the list of volumes from our storage.

The pvesm status command shows plugin as active, see below output:

root at pmvm:~# pvesm status
Name            Type     Status           Total            Used       Available        %
local            dir     active         6733592         3761440         2608840   55.86%
prim_220         hpe     active         6733592         3761440         2608840   55.86%
root at pmvm:~#

and the pvem list shows below volumes from our storage :

root at pmvm:~# pvesm list three_par
Volid Format  Type      Size VMID
0     raw     images     10 101
1     raw     images     80 101
3     raw     images     20 101
4     raw     images     32 101
5     raw     images    100 101

Now we would like to understand the flow how we can map these volumes to create VMs?

Can someone from team guide us to understand the volume--> to--> VM mapping?

Regards,
Jyotsna