[pve-devel] [RFC guest-common 09/13] vzdump: schema: add fleecing property string

DERUMIER, Alexandre alexandre.derumier at groupe-cyllene.com
Thu Feb 1 13:39:24 CET 2024

>>LVM and non-sparse ZFS need enough space for a copy for the full disk
>>up-front, so are not suitable as fleecing storages in many cases.

can't we force sparse for theses fleecing volumes, even if the storage
don't have sparse enabled ? (I can understand that it could make sense
for user to have non sparse for production for performance or
allocation reservation, but for fleecing image, it should be
exceptionnal to rewrite a full image)

>>ISCSI doesn't allow disk allocation. Should such storages be outright
>>forbidden as fleecing storages or should it just be documented?

I think it should be forbidden if it's incompatible.

>>Should the setting rather be VM-specific than backup job-specific?
>>These issues
>>mostly defeat the purpose of the default here.

can't we forbidden it in storage plugin features ? { fleecing => 1} ?

>>IIRC older version of NFS lack the ability to discard. While not
>>quite
>>as bad as the above, it's still far from ideal. Might also be worth
>>trying to detect? Will add something to the docs in any case.

I never have seen working discard with nfs, I think (never tested) it's
possible with 4.2, but 4.2 is really new on nas appliance (netapp,...).
So I think than 90% of user don't have working discard with nfs.

Is it a problem if the vm main storage support discard , but not
fleecing storage ? (I don't have looked yet how exactly fleecing is
working)

If it's a problem, I think we should forbind to use a fleecing storage
not supporting discard, if the vm have discard on 1 disk.

Répondre à: Proxmox VE development discussion <pve-
devel at lists.proxmox.com>
Am 25.01.24 um 15:41 schrieb Fiona Ebner:
> +    storage => get_standard_option('pve-storage-id', {
> + description => "Use this storage to storage fleecing images.
> Default is to use the same "
> +     ."storage as the VM disk itself.",
> + optional => 1,
> +    }),
> +});
> +

LVM and non-sparse ZFS need enough space for a copy for the full disk
up-front, so are not suitable as fleecing storages in many cases. ISCSI
doesn't allow disk allocation. Should such storages be outright
forbidden as fleecing storages or should it just be documented? Should