[pve-devel] [RFC v2 pve-container pve-manager 0/3] add partial restore

Fiona Ebner f.ebner at proxmox.com
Mon Oct 23 14:47:24 CEST 2023

Am 23.10.23 um 13:18 schrieb Christian Ebner:
> This patch series adds functionality to partially restore containers
> from backup, by allowing the user to selectively include/exclude
> mountpoints for restore. Mountpoints not included in the backup will not
> be deleted and recreated but rather attached to the container as unused
> disk after the restore. The same is true for mountpoints selected by the
> user to be excluded during restore.

FYI, there is an old series [0] adding a similar feature for VMs. It
would be nice if we could have the API/UI be not too different between
them. Of course, it's not set in stone how it's done there (since it
didn't get applied ;)), but it would be great if we could come up with a
solution that works for both cases. If you really want, you could even
pick up those patches in your next version of the series (just tell me
if you need a rebased version).

Didn't have time to take a close look yet, just noting that
'exclude-mps' is not specific enough as a parameter name for the
'create' API call. The name really should include the word 'restore' or
similar, and you can add a requires => 'restore' to the schema
definition of the parameter.

[0]: https://lists.proxmox.com/pipermail/pve-devel/2022-April/052720.html