[pve-devel] [RFC] towards automated integration testing

Lukas Wagner l.wagner at proxmox.com
Mon Oct 16 17:33:06 CEST 2023

Thanks for the summary from our discussion and the additional feedback!

On 10/16/23 15:57, Thomas Lamprecht wrote:
>>    - create some sort of test report
>
> As Stefan mentioned, test-output can be good to have. Our buildbot
> instance provides that, and while I don't look at them in 99% of the
> builds, when I need to its worth *a lot*.

Agreed, test output is always valuable and will definitely captured.

>> ## Introduction
>>
>> The goal is to establish a framework that allows us to write
>> automated integration tests for our products.
>> These tests are intended to run in the following situations:
>> - When new packages are uploaded to the staging repos (by triggering
>>    a test run from repoman, or similar)
>
> *debian repos, as we could also trigger some when git commits are
> pushed, just like we do now through Buildbot. Doing so is IMO nice as it
> will catch issues before a package was bumped, but is still quite a bit
> simpler to implement than an "apply patch from list to git repos" thing
> from the next point, but could still act as a preparation for that.
>
>> - Later, this tests could also be run when patch series are posted to
>>    our mailing lists. This requires a  mechanism to automatically
>>    discover, fetch and build patches, which will be a separate,
>>    follow-up project.
>

>> As a main mode of operation, the Systems under Test (SUTs)
>> will be virtualized on top of a Proxmox VE node.
>
> For the fully-automated test system this can be OK as primary mode, as
> it indeed makes things like going back to an older software state much
> easier.
>
> But, if we decouple the test harness and running them from that more
> automated system, we can also run the harness periodically on our
> bare-metal test servers.
>
>> ## Terminology
>> - Template: A backup/VM template that can be instantiated by the test
>>    runner
>
> I.e., the base of the test host? I'd call this test-host, template is a
> bit to overloaded/generic and might focus too much on the virtual test
> environment.

True, 'template' is a bit overloaded.

> Or is this some part that takes place in the test, i.e., a
> generalization of product to test and supplementary tool/app that helps
> on that test?

It was intended to be a 'general VM/CT base thingy' that can be
instantiated and managed by the test runner, so either a PVE/PBS/PMG
base installation, or some auxiliary resource, e.g. a Debian VM with
an already-set-up LDAP server.

I'll see if I can find good terms with the newly added focus on
bare-metal testing / the decoupling between environment setup and test
execution.

> Is the order of test-cases guaranteed by toml parsing, or how are intra-
> fixture dependencies ensured?

Good point. With rollbacks in between test cases it probably does not
matter much, but on 'real hardware' with no rollback this could
definitely be a concern.
A super simple thing that could just work fine is ordering test
execution by testcase-names, sorted alphabetically. Ideally you'd write
test cases that do not depend on each other any way, and *if* you ever
find yourself in the situation where you *need* some ordering, you could
just encode the order in the test-case name by adding an integer prefix
- similar how you would name config files in /etc/sysctl.d/*, for
instance.

--
- Lukas