[pve-devel] Watchdog hardware vor VMS

Thomas Lamprecht t.lamprecht at proxmox.com
Tue Oct 3 18:40:27 CEST 2023

Am 03/10/2023 um 12:51 schrieb Sascha Schmidt:
> Am Dienstag, dem 03.10.2023 um 12:35 +0200 schrieb Thomas Lamprecht:
>> Am 01/10/2023 um 08:59 schrieb Sascha Schmidt:
>>> i have the whish to use watchdog inside of VMs.
>>> I also want to develop this feature for Proxmox.
>>> Can i go with this or is there a pro / con for?
>>
>> Proxmox VE already supports setting up a watchdog for virtual machines
>> emulated by QEMU, it's just not exposed on the web UI as it's a bit of
>> a niche feature. But you can use the API or CLI to configure one just
>> fine, for example:
>
> Ive succeed by adding it manually to the conf. It shows not up in the
> Webui. Thats specially the point i want to resolve :)
> So i can go on with my development ?

Why is a web UI integration required? I'm not outright rejecting doing
so, but I see rather limited value of having this HW exposed in the UI,
as the UI is already rather crowded and that's why I'd like to keep niche
features to API/CLI only, so I'd like to manage your expectations – not
that you do lots of work that then won't get accepted.

Maybe you could open an enhancement request for this over at our
Bugzilla: https://bugzilla.proxmox.com/
I'd then mark it as postponed and comment that others interested in this
should show so by commenting too. If we get a few requests with somewhat
good use cases I'd be easier for me to argue reevaluating this.

Out of interest: What's actually your use case for an emulated QEMU
watchdog? Personally I only use the Linux softdog in VMs.

Oh, and btw. if you decide to develop something please check out our
developer docs, especially the CLA part:
https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Developer_Documentation#Software_License_and_Copyright

Thanks!
 Thomas