[pve-devel] [RFC common 2/2] fix #4501: next unused port: work around issue with too short expiretime

Fabian Grünbichler f.gruenbichler at proxmox.com
Wed Nov 15 09:51:33 CET 2023

On November 14, 2023 3:13 pm, Fiona Ebner wrote:
> Am 14.11.23 um 15:02 schrieb Fiona Ebner:
>> For QEMU migration via TCP, there's a bit of time between port
>> reservation and usage, because currently, the port needs to be
>> reserved before doing a fork, where the systemd scope needs to be set
>> up and swtpm might need to be started before the QEMU binary can be
>> invoked and actually use the port.
>>
>> To improve the situation, get the latest port recorded in the
>> reservation file and start trying from the next port, wrapping around
>> when hitting the end. Drastically reduces the chances to run into a
>> conflict, because after a given port reservation, all other ports are
>> tried first before returning to that port.
>
> Sorry, this is not true. It can be that in the meantime, a port for a
> different range is reserved and that will remove the reservation for the
> port in the migration range if expired. So we'd need to change the code
> to remove only reservations from the current range to not lose track of
> the latest previously used migration port.

the whole thing would also still be racy anyway across processes, right?
not sure it's worth the additional effort compared to the other patches
then.. if those are not enough (i.e., we still get real-world reports)
then the "increase expiry further + explicit release" part could still
be implemented as follow-up..