[pve-devel] [RFC manager/container/qemu-server/guest-common 0/4] fix #4474: stop tasks may overrule shutdown tasks

Friedrich Weber f.weber at proxmox.com
Fri Dec 1 10:57:12 CET 2023

Thanks for the review! I'll prepare a v2 that incorporates the UI
changes I suggested earlier. I do have some questions regarding the
concurrent tasks scenario in patch #2, see my separate mail.

On 17/11/2023 13:31, Wolfgang Bumiller wrote:
[...]
>> On 26/01/2023 09:32, Friedrich Weber wrote:
>>> * Does it make sense to have overruling optional? Or should "stop"
>>>   generally overrule shutdown? This might lead to confusing
>>>   interactions, as Thomas noted [0].
>
> Although whenever I ran into that I had simply misclicked shutdown or
> became impatient. I never had any automated shutdown tasks happen.
> Yet I still feel like this should be optional ;-)
> (I usually just ended up using `qm stop` on the cli :P)

Makes sense! (And using `qm stop` sounds like it might save some clicks ...)

>>> * Backend: Is there a more elegant way to overrule shutdown tasks,
>>>   and a better place than pve-guest-common?
>>> * Frontend: When stopping a VM/CT, we already ask for confirmation.
>>>   Is an (occasional) second modal dialog with a lot of text a good user
>>>   experience? Alternatively, I could imagine a checkbox in the first
>>>   dialog saying "Overrule any active shutdown tasks".
>>
>> Actually I don't really like the second modal dialog. What about the
>> following: When the user clicks "Stop" and the frontend detects an
>> active shutdown task, the already-existing "Confirm" dialog has an
>> additional default-off checkbox "Kill active shutdown tasks" (or
>> similar). This way the default behavior does not change, but users do
>> not have to kill active shutdown tasks manually anymore.
>
> Sounds good to me.
> But maybe don't use the word "kill" 😄 "Replace/Override" should work.

Fair point. :)

>>> * This patch series forbids `overrule-shutdown=1` for HA-managed VMs/CTs
>>>   because I didn't know how overruling should work in a HA setting. Do
>>>   you have any suggestions?
>
> I think it's okay to disable this for now.

Alright!