[pve-devel] [RFC storage/proxmox{, -perl-rs} 0/7] cache storage plugin status for pvestatd/API status update calls

Wolf Noble wolf at wolfspyre.com
Wed Aug 30 19:07:17 CEST 2023

depends, i suppose, on  ( juice > squeeze ) evaluation…
but I could see ultimately adding flags to the cli / attributes to the api to request fresh/tolerate stale / tolerate stale if howStale < time… allowing for choice…

one could also imagine implementing mechanism to assert that a cached piece of information is now definitively no longer accurate…   however that’d never catch all the ways the cached data becomes bad data
but how deep that rabbit hole goes…  is… well…
i bet there’s likely a few yaks to shave somewhere in the rabbit den too…

hasn’t it been said frequently that there are two really hard problems in programming?
naming things , caching, and off-by-one errors?

[= The contents of this message have been written, read, processed, erased, sorted, sniffed, compressed, rewritten, misspelled, overcompensated, lost, found, and most importantly delivered entirely with recycled electrons =]