[pve-devel] [RFC storage/proxmox{, -perl-rs} 0/7] cache storage plugin status for pvestatd/API status update calls

Fiona Ebner f.ebner at proxmox.com
Tue Aug 22 11:17:14 CEST 2023

Am 21.08.23 um 15:44 schrieb Lukas Wagner:
> Open questions:
>   - not sure what a good expiration time for cached entries is. For
>     now I picked 30s, but there was not much thought behind that value.

If operations affecting the values like allocation, resize, etc. would
invalidate the cache, I think we could go for a bit more. But if they
don't, the limit can't be too high IMHO. Otherwise, users will wonder
why the usage on the storage doesn't change after their action.

And would it make sense to have the cache be opt-in? So that only
pvestatd would use it, but standalone API/CLI calls always get current
values? If there is invalidation like mentioned above, that might not be
needed, but otherwise, I'm a bit afraid that handing out (slightly)
outdated values might trip up some automated scripts doing batch work or
something.