[pve-devel] Feature idea: import cloud images as disks, or at VM creation

Wolf Noble wolf at wolfspyre.com
Mon Apr 24 00:39:20 CEST 2023

I concur that this (or something like it) would definitely make it easier to create new VMs….

what would the CLI / API implementation look like for this?
would new canned privilege levels need to exist?

> On Apr 23, 2023, at 04:18, Gilou via pve-devel <pve-devel at lists.proxmox.com> wrote:

> Le 09/11/2021 à 03:03, Gilles Pietri a écrit :
> Hi,
> There's something I'd like to add to the UI, but I'd like some input from others, or at least know how useful it may sound.
> I'd like to be able to import cloud image from distributions.
> My idea would be to add a qemu template type (could be raw to start, but really anything that can be imported using qemu-img could do), and use those when needed.
> It could be through an to import the disk on an existing VM, or at creation: instead of choosing a CD-Rom, we'd chose a template to import as the main disk, and the size chosen later on would be used to resize it.
> What do you think? Is this dumb? Has anyone worked on such an idea?
> I'm willing to start exploring adding a template type named Qemu template or so, then working on using that to import a disk, then improve the creation ui..

Hi,

This is an "old" email from 2021, but the need has risen again, so, well, let's talk about it, if anybody cares!

What to do?
- implement a QEMU disk template (next to ISO Images and Container templates?)
- make it so you can importdisk easily that to a VM? Attach it, set it as a bootdisk, resize it?
- add the option to do all that in the creation flow for a VM?
- offer to add a cloud-init disk directly?
- then maybe offer to set username/password/ssh key, or IP settings directly in the creation flow, as cloud-init data

We could even go as far as add in the template content handler a few "well-known" base images such as
https://cloud-images.ubuntu.com/
https://cloud.debian.org/images/cloud/

All that would make self service crazily improved when using Proxmox, allowing to provide a great experience, starting from "empty" to a running VM, allowing us to "duplicate" the cool CT experience in VMs!

Plus, the base is already there ;)
Or am I the only one seeing any interest int that?

Regards,

Gilou