[pve-devel] [RFC access-control common container qemu-server 0/4] #2582: Sys.Root privilege

Oguz Bektas o.bektas at proxmox.com
Wed Jan 5 16:22:11 CET 2022

sending this in as RFC, because i think it needs a bit of ironing
out and discussing the quirky bits ;)

i'm not done with pve-manager patch so that'll come with the v1, though API
should work for testing the changes.

it probably makes sense to also add a helper there, since at the moment
we only check if Proxmox.UserName === 'root at pam' or in some cases
specific permissions for storage and so forth, in order to decide
whether to show/enable some GUI elements.

container API already works pretty well. VM API should also work but i haven't
tested this extensively w.r.t. storage and migration.

some questions that popped up in my head:

+ should adding 'Sys.Root' privilege to a user give them all available
privileges on that path? this would make sense as having a
root-equivalent privilege should be already enough (otherwise it doesn't
have much of a point?). since at some places we have things like:

-------
        } elsif ($target_vmid) {
            $rpcenv->check_vm_perm($authuser, $target_vmid, undef, ['VM.Config.Disk'])
-               if $authuser ne 'root at pam';
+               if !$is_root;
-------

where one could theoretically have root-eq privs but not the 'VM.Config.Disk' for the target vm...

+ $authuser could also be an (optional?) parameter for the helper in
PVE::Tools, so that we could check arbitrary users and not only the current
one. also on most of these we already call $rpcenv->get_user() before doing the
check, so we could spare that call inside the helper if we do that
consistently.

+ would it make sense to be able to give 'Sys.Root' on a single node (like on
/nodes/foo instead of the whole cluster)? this seemed like a rabbithole to me
since we'd have to lock down quite a bit of stuff to limit movement from one
cluster member to the other, without any(?) worthwhile benefits? or might make
sense to just allow 'Sys.Root' to be given on '/' (since it should be
equivalent to root at pam anyway)

+ should root at pam have 'Sys.Root' by default? or does it make sense to still
differentiate the "real" root user and the "impersonated" one?

 pve-access-control:

 Oguz Bektas (1):
  add Sys.Root privilege

 src/PVE/AccessControl.pm | 1 +
 1 file changed, 1 insertion(+)

 pve-common:

 Oguz Bektas (1):
  tools: add 'check_for_root' helper

 src/PVE/Tools.pm | 9 +++++++++
 1 file changed, 9 insertions(+)

 pve-container:

 Oguz Bektas (1):
  fix #2582: api: use common helper for checking root privileges

 src/PVE/API2/LXC.pm | 5 ++---
 src/PVE/LXC.pm      | 8 +++++---

 qemu-server:

 Oguz Bektas (1):
  api: use common helper for checking root privileges

2.30.2