[pve-devel] cloudinit: question about cloudinit pending values && hostname/mac address changes

aderumier at odiso.com aderumier at odiso.com
Sun Feb 21 18:47:06 CET 2021

Hi,

I have some question about cloudinit hotplug pending values.

Currently, when vm is running, we keep cloudinit specific values
(ipconfigX, dns, ssh,...)  in pending until we regenerate image
manually.

But some other change, like vm name (use for hostname), or nic mac
address . (use to match interface in config nodrive format), are not
keeped as pending.

Why don't we simply auto regenerate the cloudinit config drive after
changes? (and don't use pending values like "pending  cdrom
generation").

Anyway, when vm is offline, we don't have pending state at all, and
config drive is generated only after at vmstart.

Also, currently, to regenerated the iso, we need 2 api call,
1 to remove cdrom ,  1 to replug cdrom with new config.

I really would like to be able to change cloud-init config like lxc,
simply update values, and get them auto apply.

What do you think about it ?