[pve-devel] RFC: sdn: add ip management (IPAM -DHCP) ideas

Dietmar Maurer dietmar at proxmox.com
Sun Jun 21 08:59:22 CEST 2020

comments inline

> When user will create a new vm or add a nic to the vm, he could choose ip address "auto",
> and the next available ip addresse will be returned with the ipam driver.

Each NIC may have an associated network allocation pool, where "auto" tries to figure
out the correct pool autimagically.

> User could also choose a specific ip address with verification of availability.

I though this is addition to the network allocation pool. If set, it tries to allocate a specific
IP address inside the allocation pool.

> In second step, we could also add dhcp server features, with static ip/mac leases. (Kea dhcp seem a good candidate).
> with 1 local dhcp server by node. (only responding to local vms)
> for bgp-evpn it's easy because we already have a anycast gateway ip, so it can be use by dhcp server.
> for vlan && layer2 plugin, I wonder if we could also assign some kind of anycast ip (same ip on each host/vnet), but with filtering (iptables,ebtables,....)
> I could also works to implement cloudinit network metadata.

I would prefer to delegate that part to the VM (cloudinit).

Also, I like the idea that IPAM has a plugin architecture. So it is up to the plugin to
provide a dhcp service?

> Here some implementations doc in openstack && openebula

Thanks for the links!

> Somes notes/ideas for the implementation/config:
> /etc/pve/sdn/subnets.cfg
>
> subnet: subnet1
>         cidr 192.168.0.0/24
>         allocation-pools 192.168.0.10-17, 192.168.0.70-10, 192.168.0.100 (default is the full cidr without network/broadcast address)

I thought IP addresses should be managed by the IPAM plugin?
Why would we specify them here?